Saturday, March 13, 2010

Potatoe; Potato? Tomatoe or Tomato?



Day or night, black or white, dogs or cats, nothing seems to match with your partner and as a result it may lead to aggressive arguments, sweat and tears and the possibility of your relationship ending. I do encourage fighting within a relationship as it is vital to any successful relationship. Without fighting, there would not be the opportunity to move forward together as a couple and understand each other's differences. In the beginning of any relationship the first three months are sunshine and roses, however, as the relationship progresses attitudes and actions begin to swivel. This is a problem for many including myself as fighting can weaken or improve the steadiness of a solid relationship. When the arguments occur remember there are simple steps to handling any argument.


Think Before you speak: Many times couples will “bite the bullet” and say whichever comes to their mind at the moment; often resulting in negativism or an explosive remark. Think, you would not want to be in the other shoes receiving those remarks yourself.

Keep it Simple: Often the public relations students are told to “keep it concise” well that is exactly what arguing is about. Stick to the main issue and don’t begin to wander off topic with other arguments.

Listen: This is the biggest issue where many times when people argue they are only hear themselves speak, however, listen to the other person they are expressing something that is just as important to them as it is important to you. You will never be able to have positive relationships with others if you cannot listen.

Be Sincere: If a fight occurs remember to be sincere as it is only a disagreement between both parties and not an attack on someone. Remember after the argument to say you are sorry for your actions and your behavior.

Till Next Week,

Your,
Relationship Guru xoxo

6 comments:

  1. I agree about sincerity being key. If you give up your side without discussing it or airing it out, you can build up resentment without your partner even knowing the cause.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good post guru. Fighting can be healthy sometimes, but often people get distracted and bring up older issues or unrelated issues altogether just to make a point or make the other person feel worse. Good advice on keeping it concise and being able to listen. Very important in a relationship where an arguement occurs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jo, great advice. I am always saying sorry, when stuck in a disagreement. I avoid conflicts like the plague, and I am the best at changing subjects. But "sorry" is on my list of most-used words. I suppose this means I am a true Canadian–did you see the closing ceremonies of the olympics?

    Keep up the good work, Pip!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the fight sometimes but only if the other person will fight back. I hate when the give in... especially when I KNOW I am being a spoiled brat. If I am being a princess tell me... make me respect them more!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Unfortunately I'm usually really stubborn, and try to stir up trouble when I'm bored lol. But its all fun and games until it starts to get serious

    ReplyDelete
  6. The speaking before I think is probably the biggest issue that I have, I'm extremely quick to react and say the very first thing that comes to mind...this has gotten me into many sticky situations that I am working very hard on to correct. It's never an easy thing but I feel it is a very good thing to practice

    ReplyDelete