Have you ever had that feeling when you meet someone that you have an engaging conversation with, then suddenly you find out he or she lives in another province, state or even country? Believe it or not ladies and gentlemen, it does happen, but I will reassure you that you have come to the right spot.
I never believed that I would be able to do a long-distance relationship. I have been with my boyfriend for a year and the majority of our relationship has been long-distance. From Africa, to northern Canada, I have stuck by his side (not literally), but have acknowledged the situation and taken it for what it is. For some, you may think I am crazy; wanting to be with someone who isn’t there to celebrate birthdays, rub your feet at night or simply watch American Idol with. For others you may think I am just crazy- in-love. Of course, in any relationships there are its ups and downs, but when you feel the way you do about that special someone you sometimes can’t help but feel up!
TALKING-Talk at least once a day/night or every other. By doing this it will instantly boots your feelings and most importantly it allows both of you to catch up on daily events. Remember to talk about future plans together; this encourages positive movement in a relationship.
INTERNET- If you are doing a LDR, remember to invest in the internet where both of you can stay connected through sites like Skype or Facebook to communicate.
TRUST- This is very important because without trust a relationship, let alone a long distance relationship will not survive. Be honest when your feelings have been hurt, however, be true to yourself and be true to your partner.
VISIT- This is very important in a LRD. Whether the person is over seas or a few hours away, always make plans to visit once a month or when your schedule allows you.
SURPRISE THEM- Both partners love it when they receive surprises like flowers, cards, love letters or better yet a surprise visit from you on their front porch! (Hint, hint ) Men, I promise I am not asking you to be Adam Sandler’s character in the Wedding Singer playing the guitar on the front lawn, but remember women appreciate it a lot.
TAKE UP A HOBBIE- This means not talking on the phone as a hobbie to your significant other. This shows you are willing to have a life without your sweetie there every minute. Ladies, why not try kickboxing, swimming, scrapbooking etc. Men consider hockey, Wii games e.t.c.
So ladies and gentlemen, no matter where you are living just remember to live as you like and live in the state of LOVE. Till next time.
Love,
Your Relationship Guru xo


Long distant relationships can be really hard. It is something I have said I will never do it again but I do have a lot of respect for people who can make it work!
ReplyDeleteYes, I agree with Amanda, it is really hard to keep a long distant relationship, but not impossible. Nowadays, it is much easier to keep relationships like that because there is the web. When I think of those old times' books and movies I have seen when couples kept strong relationships only by writing letters; letters that would take months to arrive in their places. Sometimes I think that distant relationships may work out even better than the other ones because you are "planting the roots" of a true friendship that may last forever and ever, amem! Good luck, Joanna! Please, let me know when your wedding is going to be.
ReplyDelete